Meraki’s API has remodeled considerably beginning with the adoption of Swagger, now referred to as OpenAPI v2. The combination of the OpenAPI Specification has been essential in streamlining our API growth course of and crafting a seamless expertise for builders.
Now, we’re taking a big leap ahead by adopting the OpenAPI v3 Specification. This replace is an affidavit to our dedication to fostering a high-quality API contract, and equipping our developer neighborhood with probably the most up-to-date instruments and applied sciences. With that stated, we’re excited to announce the rollout of OpenAPI v3 assist for the Meraki Dashboard API!
So, what’s it used for?
- API Design and Growth: Design APIs in a regular, language-agnostic method to scale back misunderstandings and rework.
- API Documentation: Generate interactive, up-to-date API documentation that’s simple for builders to grasp and use.
- Code Technology: Mechanically generate shopper and server code in lots of languages, guaranteeing consistency between the API’s implementation and its documentation.
- API Testing and Validation: Create take a look at circumstances and validate that the API’s implementation matches its design.
- API Administration and Governance: Standardize APIs for simpler administration and governance inside organizations.
New Use Circumstances Enabled by v3:
- Content material Negotiation: Outline totally different schema and examples for various media sorts, supporting a number of codecs like JSON and XML.
- Linking and Callbacks: Describe complicated, multi-step operations and outgoing ‘callback’ webhooks for asynchronous APIs and push notifications.
- Safety Enhancements: Help complicated OAuth 2.0 flows and OpenID Join Discovery with versatile safety definitions.
- Higher Examples: Present a number of examples for request our bodies and responses to enhance API documentation.
The transition to OpenAPI v3 brings lots of nice stuff and new prospects for builders. Listed here are a few of the preliminary enhancements we’re implementing out of the gate:
- Callback Help for Async Operations: The introduction of callbacks in v3 paves the best way for higher dealing with of complicated, multi-step operations and outgoing ‘callback’ webhooks for asynchronous APIs and push notifications. This empowers builders to handle intricate, time-consuming duties extra effectively, bettering the general efficiency. Keep tuned as we undertake a few of these new options into the Dashboard API (trace: liveTools & actionBatches).
- Enhanced API Definitions: Offering API response schemas are essential for strongly typed languages to make sure the info and kinds are as anticipated. OASv3 has enhanced these capabilities by offering versatile choices to outline dynamic, additive and conditional properties which the Dashboard API is benefiting from. Creating SDKs in your favourite language needs to be simpler and extra dependable than ever earlier than.
- Improved Tooling and Validations: v3 introduces improved instruments and validation mechanisms that streamline the API design, growth, and testing processes. These enhancements make sure that the API’s implementation aligns with its design, resulting in a strong and dependable API expertise.
Get Began with OpenAPI v3
Beginning with OpenAPI v3 assist for the Meraki Dashboard API is easy. Go to our Meraki OpenAPI GitHub repository. There you could find OpenAPI specs for the Meraki Dashboard API. Listed here are shortcuts to the v1 & v1-beta specs in JSON format if you wish to have a fast peak beneath the hood.
Alternatively, you may discover the Developer Hub at Meraki.io for complete documentation, pattern code, and integration guides to start out benefiting from the Meraki Dashboard API.
We sit up for listening to your OpenAPI v3 creations and tales with us – so please present feedback and suggestions under!